Tenants of Tracey Towers facing a 65 percent rent hike have been spared - for now.
A judge yesterday ruled the rent hike will be kept on hold while both sides battle it out in court.
The hike, over a four-year period at the twin towers Mitchel-Lama co-op, had been due to go into effect on Saturday, Sept. 1.
But a lawyer for the tenants won a temporary restraining order on September 5.
With both sides back in court on Wednesday, Bronx starte Supreme Court Justice Howard Sherman extended the TRO to at least the next hearing on Friday, September 21.
“We will continue in negotiations with the landlord and the city for a fair and reasonable resolution for the residents of Tracey Towers,” said the tenants’ attorney William Madonna, who was brought in by 80th Assembly District candidate Mark Gjonaj.
Madonna filed for an Article 78 proceeding, used when administrative appeal runs out with the city or state.
The first phase of the rent hike that was due to go into effect on Saturday, September 1, would have seen tenants’ rents initially increase by 16 percent, followed by further increases over the next three years.
Gjonaj said he will continue to help fight for the tenants.
“The battle continues,” he said. “We’ll continue with the negotiations with the owners, lenders and HPD. Winners never quit and quitters never win. But it looks like we’re on good footing.”Kirsten Sanchez can be reach via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (718) 742-3394
©2012 Community News Group